Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hopes and Dreams

With the impending arrival of our little bundle of joy in August, I am now turning my thoughts to what I want to do job-wise. Until now I have been conent with jobs like waiting tables and working as a cashier, but as the baby approaches, I realize I want to spend as much time with her as possible (that's right - HER! We found out earlier this week). After some consideration and encouragement from my hubby, my parents, and one etsy-addicted cousin, I am turning my attention to my Etsy shop, and hope that I can build it into a source of sustainable income.

I've always known I wanted to be a stay at home mom, but living without a source of any personal income, and having to function off what would essentially be an allowance from my husband niggles slightly at my modern-woman sensibilities. Since I've always said I want to go into business for myself, now seems like the perfect time to start.

Short term goal - make enough money each month to afford my student loan payments, plus a little extra for spendables and saveables. (This comes to roughly $300/month)

Midterm goal - build my business into a source of income comparable to my current job waiting tables (about $500/ month)

Long term goal - Tend my shop and grow my clientel to a point where I am a significant contributor to my family's bill-paying (Hopefully as much as $1,000/ month or $12,000/ year).


I think these goals are achievable, if I can market myself well enough. I feel like a high diver getting ready to perform for the judges - only I'm not sure I'm quite as prepared. While I have worked in customer service fields for years and years, I have never owned my own business, and am not entirely sure where to start. I guess here is as good a place as any.

Let it begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment